Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012




Yes, those are Joe's Stone Crab claws.  Thanks to Rob for sending them for our dinner last night.  Also thanks to Jeff for bringing the rest of the Seafood, but more on that later...

This afternoon, I was wondering what, from the leftovers would be interesting for tonight's dinner.  I had been thinking about a cold Mussel salad all day since there were about a pound and a half of those amazing PEI Mussels left from dinner.  These are so clean tasting and briny and didn't require any prep at all before cooking them as my good friend Chef Victor Albisu demonstrated at his cooking class last summer.

Cast Iron Skillet Mussels

5 LBS PEI Mussels
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 minced Garlic Cloves
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
1/2 bottle unoaked white wine

Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot.  Add the mussels, drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle the parsley and garlic over the top.  Scoop and stir the mussels using a spatula or two.  Pour the wine over the top and cover for a few min until they are done.  Discard any unopened bivalves.

  
Back to today...

SO I've got these crazy good cooked Mussels in the 'fridge and I run across this recipe for Cold Mussel Escabeche with Vinegar and Pimenton from José Andrés  and I KNOW they are going to be good, just on his name alone. 




And what do you know, I already have everything I need to make them, WOW, go figure!  So I start pulling them out of the shells and popping them into a bowl.  They kinda look a little like Lamb Fries in this picture.


And here they are in the finished 'marinade'



I couldn't resist tasting one, Oh My.  In the name of everything that is good and holy, these should be illegal they are so good.  Rich and oh so flavorful.  Truly decadent.  Truly...  I'm at a loss for words. 


No comments:

Post a Comment